TexPoint for Word Manual
Starting with version 3.0 of TexPoint we are releasing a version of TexPoint for Word. It turns out that Word is quite different than Powerpoint in how it interacts with add-ins. Because of this porting TexPoint to Word has been a major job and there are even some features that are either not yet ported, or work differently than on Powerpoint. TexPoint for Word should be considered in beta stage. Read about differences and limitations.
Differences from TexPoint for Powerpoint
- TexPoint for Word is not available for the Mac
- On Word you have to press ALT followed by X to open the TexPoint menu. You cannot press ALT+X (together).
- The Word add-in is not loaded automatically when you start Word. You have several choices:
- You can load TexPoint manually. For Office 2003 and older, Open a Word document, go to Tools/Templates and Add-ins/Add..., browse to the TexPoint directory and select TexPoint.dot. For Office 2007, go to the Office Button (upper right), Word Options, Add-Ins, select Manage: Word Add-ins at the bottom, then like for Office 2003.
- When you save the document you will be asked if you want to save the changes to the "Normal" template. If you select "No" then you will have to follow this procedure everytime you want to use Word on a new document.
- When you start Word next time you might see the TexPoint menu, even though the add-in is not loaded. You must follow the procedure from above to load the add-in.
- Word can keep picture both inline with the text or separate with text wrapped around the picture (see Format Picture/Layout). TexPoint can at the moment operate only on separate displays. If you edit a TexPoint display that is inline, TexPoint will first pull it out and then process it.
- Editing of TexPoint displays that are part of a group does not yet work.
- Word does not support the same attribute storage model for displays as Powerpoint. Because of this when you copy displays from Word to Powerpoint or viceversa, you will loose the properties. We might provide a special copy to clipboard feature to avoid this problem.